Lollipop Trees

Monday, July 11, 2011

Boo Boo Bears


As a little girl, I remember my mom sewing "corn bags." She took denim and another heavy, striped fabric and created a little pillow shape a bit larger than a half sheet of paper. It was filled with field corn. Mom made many bags and gave them as Christmas gifts to relatives that year, along with instructions about putting them in the microwave and creating a heat pack, or storing them in the freezer to use as a cold pack.

I still use my corn bag as an adult, as do my 2 children when they have tummy aches. Well, one day I was thinking about how the corn bag was a bit large and heavy for my little ones to carry around, so I decided to make smaller bags and fill them with dried rice. As I thought more about it, I decided that a heart or a bear shape would be fun. That is how the boo boo bears were created.
I am not an expert sewer, and so I was pretty proud to come up with this idea and then make it actually happen the way that I wanted it to happen!

The kids love their bears and sleep with them every night. We warm the bears in the microwave for a minute, and they snuggle their warm friends to sleep. Maybe we should rename them sleepytime bears...

I also love that they are recycled from daddy's old pair of jeans. Earth-friendly and cheap! These bags are pretty basic to make, but I would be happy to explain in more detail about the whole process if someone needs more specifics.

No comments:

Post a Comment